PBR rendering in vvvv with FBX4V and mp.dx

Because of past circumstances and the ways I view things recently, Emeshe 3 as a standalone pack isn’t going to happen BUT most of the stuff planned for it will be organically implemented inside mp.dx and we will cover them in the workshop too. For this reason the name of the workshop is also changed to “PBR rendering in vvvv with mp.dx and FBX4V”

One Sentence: What’s happening in your workshop?
We will look at a new graphics/asset pipeline much more simpler and streamlined than Emeshe 2.2, load, manage and optimise scenes with FBX SDK 2017 and render them with industry grade PBR techniques.

What 3 tags describe your workshop?
graphics, assets, dx11

In which of the three categories does your workshop fall: beginner, intermediate, advanced
advanced

How long will your workshop be?
2x 3 hours, let’s cover everything.

Who is the target audience of your workshop?
People who usually work with more complex 3D scenes from a 3D package (like Maya or Cinema4D) and want to render them pretty

What knowledge do you presume your participants have?
fluent vvvv, basic dx11

What will attendees of your workshop learn?
load and manipulate assets intended for physically based rendering (as seen in unity / UE4)and render them with the aforementioned techniques (again as seen in unity / UE4)

What technical requirements does your workshop have (apart from internet and a projector)?
nothing special

Who would be the two hosts?
Boris Vitazek (StiX) and me (microdee)

How would the hosts qualify for the topic? (Describe and add links to portfolio website, github, vimeo,… accounts)
microdee: http://mcro.de , https://github.com/microdee , my contribs
Boris is a power-user of Emeshe 2, he had couple of AV performances and visuals made with it. He will take care of attendies, tell me if I’m too fast or too slow, and deal with anyone who has isolated problems with their laptop.

In detail
First we will go through importing FBX files, what bottlenecks there can be (we will look at a bad Maya example too and a way to fix it), which features are supported and a little intro how to start using them in vvvv. Then we will go into managing geometry, subsets, instancing and pipeline. We will cover some potentially non-trivial geometry specific tricks which can be done with vanilla DX11 and which are excessively exploited in mp.dx and FBX4V (like defines or dynamic shaders). After, we will deal with animation loaded from FBX, skeletal (skinning), blendshapes and rigid transforms through provided examples. Then go to material handling for subsets / material vertex groups via an advanced PBR base shader which can provide a good foundation for most deferred lighting pipelines. We will cover the one which is inside mp.dx currently called PBRIBL and is image based lighting only yet but there are high priority plans for culled dynamic lighting.
That’s mostly it, it might get more features until NODE17.

note, FBX4V is not released yet but it’s currently going through private beta testing with 20 people. If everything goes well I will release this thing middle of May, for real this time, whatever happens.

here are some graphics for teasing:

22 Likes

Im in! :D

Sounds awesome. I’m happy to contribute some assets if that’s helpful (cubemaps, PBR materials etc)

´+1