Nodelist.xml

When we installing add-ons, is suggested to unpack (with replacement of files) the addons.zip archive, but there is no explanation for the file nodelist.xml, which includes separately node list for the addons.zip package, and for vvvv.zip. After the overwrite operation, the nodes from the main package simply disappear from the NodeBrowser. Why is that? Incomplete instruction? And if the version of the add-on package and the version of the main package should coincide, then why not immediately generate a full nodelist.xml file that will include nodes from both packages?

При установке дополнений предлагается распаковать (с заменой файлов) архив addons.zip, но при этом нет пояснения про файл nodelist.xml, который включает свой список нод для пакета addons.zip, и свой для vvvv.zip. После операции перезаписи ноды из основного пакета просто исчезнут из NodeBrowser. Почему так? Неполная инструкция? И если, версия пакета дополнений и версия основного пакета должны вобщем совпадать, то почему сразу не сгенерировать полный файл nodelist.xml, который будет включать ноды из обоих пакетов?

Установка. распакуйте .zip архив в папку с установленной vvvv перезаписывая текущие файлы.
ИСПРАВЛЕНИЯ\ДОПОЛНЕНИЯ: (исключая файл nodelist.xml). Если вы распакуете дополнения непосредственно в директорию программы, то vvvv их не увидит! Пути поиска установливаются в файле “NodeList.xml” ((/documentation/nodelist-(vvvv))) (генерируется из коммандной строки):
vvvv.exe /nodelist “…\vvvv\lib\nodes”
“c:\vvvv\vvvv.exe” /nodelist “c:\vvvv\lib\nodes”

• addons. Extract its .zip into your vvvv directory so that the \addonpack directory is placed right next to the \girlpower directory.
    https://vvvv.org/documentation/nodelist-(vvvv)
    In order for vvvv to know what addons are available for patching it has to check all the searchpaths set via NodeList (VVVV) for files that may contain any kind of addon. As this can take quite a while vvvv only does this if a searchpath is missing a file called nodelist.xml. In case nodelist.xml is present in a searchpath vvvv assumes this nodelist contains all information of nodes available in this path and thus relies on it. ie. when you manually put addons in such a directory vvvv will not see them! In case nodelist.xml is not present in a searchpath the directory is watched and scanned following these rules: if there is subdirectory called /effects it will look for .fx files in this directory recursively; if such a directory is not present, it will look for .fx only in the given directory; same goes for /plugins and /modules.

http://avs.chat.ru

where exactly do you see the suggestion of “replacement of files”?

you shouldn’t overwrite anything! please follow the instructions here: Installation | vvvv and let us know exactly which part seems not clear, so we can improve it.

the reason for having separate nodelist for core and addonpack is that the core is not opensource while the addonpack is and so both can be treated individually. anyway an end-user should never come into contact with either when they are following the installation instructions.

the suggestion of “replacement of files” is specified in russian installation instructions. today i already have added there their own explanations. in the english editings so not written, but no explanations about the nodelist.xml file.

avs.chat.ru

• addons installation. To unpack .zip archive in file with installed vvvv (exclusive of file nodelist.xml). If you unpack additions right in directory of the program, that vvvv their will not see! The ways for searching register in the file “NodeList.xml” (is generated from command line):
    vvvv.exe /nodelist "…\vvvv\lib\nodes"
    NodeList (VVVV) | vvvv

hm…i’m afraid i cannot really follow. are you sure you want to generate your own nodelist.xml as described on the page you linked? you do understand that this is not necessary for typical users?

Just to be sure, did you put the folder ‘addonpack’ besides vvvv.exe? Sounds like you are integrating the individual folders into the vvvv folders. Anyone has a gif of addonpack installation?

what is “besides vvvv.exe”?

vvvv
girlpower
lib
licenses
nodelist.xml

addonpack
girlpower
lib
licenses
nodelist.xml

vvvv+addonpack
girlpower+girlpower
lib+lib
licenses+licenses
nodelist.xml+nodelist.xml

i don`t understand you. for example, i’m needs the nodes KINECT, which is in the addons, but is not located in the vvvv main. after the add-on unpacking, i should generate new nodelist.xml, otherwise the KINECT nodes will not be fixed in the NodeBrowser. this is “not typical”?

and another question, nodelist.xml is:
main … 2,39 mb;
addons … 1,14 mb;
generated … 1,77 mb;
why is not 3,53 mb? main nodelist contains redundant information?

big NO. as i tried to explain already above: you typically NEVER need to create a nodelist.xml yourself! only under very special circumstances you’d need to.

the Installation | vvvv page has a screenshot of how the \addonpack looks when it is placed correctly. in fact let me just put the picture here for you:

does that help?

Let me peak in.
@guest
You must not mess up the directory structure of any software. Doing this will invariably lead to software malfunction.
You download vvvv and addons. You clearly have to download 32bit addons version, if you choose 32bit version of vvvv. Or 64bit, if you choose 64bit vvvv.
You unzip the content of vvvv beta in a folder on which you have read\write permissions.
You open vvvv folder, and unzip addons there.
You run setup, installing missing dependencies.
You launch vvvv.
You double left click.
You type kinect
You choose your kinect nodes.
End of it.
No need to tinker with nodelist.xml.

@tonfilm I’m building a VM. I’ll make a movie with every step needed to dl, install addons packs etc. If you think I’d show something in particular, please tell me ASAP, as I’ll start recording soon. This video could be then ul to youtube, converted in gif, etc.

Maybe you are looking for the dx11 pack? Did you check for the right architecture, 32 vs 64 bit?

ok. understand. fixed in russian instruction

but if i want add to NodeBrowser my own *.fx & *.v4p file?
in what cases concretely possible to use (Rescan for Externals) [Shift+Alt+E];[Alt+E]?
why NodeBrowser does not see my nodes and effects, when i add its manually to vvvv sub folder, and do “Rescan”?

as h99 pointed out above: you never add any files to the vvvv or addonpack directories!

if you want to have addons show up in nodebrowser, that are not part of the addonpack or not part of your own project, then here is how you do:

You create a contribution folder, then you place in it the following folders
effects modules plugins
A patch would go into \modules with such a name pattern: myPatchName (CategoryName SubCategoryName NcategoryName).v4p.
A plugin should follow the same naming conventions, while effects save them inside \effects folder with category between (): MyEffect (EX9.Effect).fx.
Exactly the way they’re shown in NodeBrowser.

no result.

have several files, for example:
myRenderer.v4p
Contrast (EX9.Effect) help.v4p
Contrast.fx

has tested folders:
\vvvv\packs
\vvvv\vvvvContributions
\vvvv\contribution
.\modules
myPatchName (CategoryName SubCategoryName NcategoryName).v4p
.\effects
MyEffect (EX9.Effect).fx
.\plugins

not shown in NodeBrowser.

Simple as that. You messed up vvvv directories structure.
A contribution is not a pack, so you must not put it inside packs.
Then again, vvvv accepts only addonpack and packs as folders that are not available within the main executable download.
The contributions folder that you set in Root patch, must be created outside vvvv main directory and you can name it also flabberstagger, as long as effects modules and plugins folders are inside it.

@guest again: please refer to the official documentation: https://vvvv.org/documentation/using-addons and let us know if anything mentioned there is not working for you.

you speak about structure such as:

myPatches
\assets\ (including: myVideo.mkv & myPic.jpg)
\effects\ (including: myEffects.fx)
\subpatches\ (including: mySubPatches.v4p)
_root.v4p