MultiScreen - Texture Problem

Hi everyone,

I got a problem with multiple Outputs.
I started patching a projection on a sphere with 3 projectors and used a triplehead2go, which was working fine.

I created 3 quads where each quad had the output of the virtual projectors as a texture.
Now i wanted to add a 4th Projector and transfer this patch to a computer with 6 Outputs, so no need for the triplehead anymore…

Now i have the problem, that i take each renderer and put it to a seperate output, but the video which is mapped to the virtual sphere is only playing on one renderer. The others stop playing the video and distort the picture.

It works fine with gdi-textures mapped to the sphere and with pictures…

Anyone had the same issue yet? i didn’t find a post about that…

Please help!!!

alright…
that just won’t work…
i found that out now…

anyone tried to use a triplehead and the second dvi output in span mode?

hi scarab, missed your first post.

video can’t be used as a texture on two renderers. Not quite sure why. There have been some threads on here regarding this but can’t find them anywhere. One solution I remember being offered was to use a flash renderer with a .swf that is capturing the video. This can then be taken as a texture and shared among different renderers. I’ve never tested this and I can’t remember who offered this solution.

From my experience, if you use a x3head2go on a dual DVI output card you can never use the empty DVI at the same time.

The two heads of a graphics card always must have the same resolution to be able to set them to span mode.
… so you can not set a “TripleHead-head” with for example 3072x768 in span mode with a single XGA-head.

… but, what works without any problems is to set the two heads each connected to a TripleHead into span made. Both of course have to have the same resolution (for example 3072x768) and can then set to horizontal span (6144x768) or even better vertical span (3072x1536). This setup gives you 6x 1024x768 fed by one renderer.

It is sometimes tricky to set the triple heads to the correct resolution, but when this is done they are working without problems.

Markus

Hey guys, …

thanks for your reply.

I tried now MSBERGER’s solution. It wouldn’t work. But i think the Problem comes from the Graphiccards’s Software. I tried different cards: Asus EAH4850 / EAH4550 / EAH 4350 …

The Spanmode would always just take the first Outputs of each DualHead (or TripleHead… same thing) …

Seems like i have check out Boygrouping to get this done…

used the “two TripleHeads on one card solution” a lot with nvidia 8800 GTX cards. so with a 8800GTX it is working for sure.

Markus

hello,
just to clarify…
this kind of setup ( span mode -> tripleHead ) is dedicated
to desktop computers with “true dual head” graphic card?

i ask because i’m currently working on a laptop (Geforce 8600m GT)
with a secondary VGA output and before reading this post
i thought it was possible to use a multi projector setup with a laptop!!! i have only single clone or dual mode options in the nvidia control panel.

Hi circuitb,

using ONE tripleHead connected to the ONE external graphics card output of your notebook should be possible without problems (for example configured as 3x 1024x768 --> 3072x768).
To connect more than one triplehead to get more than three monitor outs is of course not possible using a notebook, because there is no second external graphics card output to connect the second triplehead to.

Markus

although i heard a rumour about a guy using his laptop’s vga and hdmi output separately, i.e. no image on the built in screen, but two separate images on vga and hdmi. i’d think he hacked around in the graphics drivers for that…

hdmi to dvi to 3head digital should work, isn’t it?

So…

I found a Nvidea Geforce 7900GT in one of our computers, and it worked, after just a few minutes of trying!!! YEAH!

So it was really just the ATI Cards. Or maybe the Catalyst Control Center…

But with the Geforce it worked just fine…

So my Setup now is:

1x Gforce 7900 GT -> with 2 DualHeads in HorizontalSpanMode -> one Monitor with resolution 5120x1024
1x Gforce 7700 Single Output just for a Monitor to control the Patch.

Here again a ATI wouldn’t work for the ControlMonitor, because the Drivers of Gforce and ATI kill each other…

Thanks for your help on this!!!

hi scarab. Glad you got what you wanted working. 5120x1024 sounds a odd resolution. Is it over 6 monitors, 853.3333x1024 per monitor, surly not?

No, it’s Dual not Triplehead…

4x1280 = 5120

i’m glad you sorted it out that way.
i’m already looking forward to see it in the wild ;-)