MultiBoyGrouping

anybody around here made some experience with the new MultiBoyGrouping feature?

ja, it’s awesome.

i noticed:

Setup: Server1,Server2,Client

• having S-nodes with the same SendString on both Servers: the R-node on the Client offers two enumerations:
    +SendString
    +SendString#2

using Shutdown (Windows) seems to be problematic:

running this patchlet on one server:

4 or 5 of 6 clients shutting down Windows immediately after evaluation of the first frame.

• setting the “Action”-pin doesn’t matter.
  • “Enable Shutdown” set to “0” doesn’t matter.

i assume that those 1 or 2 clients not shutting down didn’t get the bang via UDP.
however starting up the Server is no problem at all.

i used this patchlet before in a “normal” boygroup and didn’t have problems.

ahaaa: awesome!

creating a Layer on Server1 and use a S (Node)
creating a Renderer on Server2 and use a R (Node)

allows to transfer Layers!

but how to set the names of the SendStrings?!?

• having S-nodes with the same SendString on both Servers: the R-node on the Client offers two enumerations:
    right, you have to understand that there is really not much magic involved. while the 2 servers patches start in different subpatches on the clients otherwise the graphs are not separated and can communicate via SendReceive. therefore doubled Sender names are not allowed just like on a single patch instance.

• i assume that those 1 or 2 clients not shutting down didn’t get the bang via UDP.
    bangs must never be sent via network. the result is unpredictable. also i’d rather use RemoterSA for controlling clients…

• …allows to transfer Layers!
    …but how to set the names of the SendStrings?!?
    ja, that is the main kick. and here is how you do it right:
    on server 1 you want a boygrouped S, on server 2 you want a boygrouped R. boygrouping S on server 1 is easy. now on server 2 you create a S with the same SendString, but don’t boygroup it. like this you can select that SendString on the boygrouped R (on server 2). see?

• bangs must never be sent via network.

i DO NOT send a bang. the boygrouped Shutdown (Windows) behaves this way in the first frame.

• …create a S with the same SendString, but don’t boygroup it.

yeah, now it seems obvious!
thx for this hint.

anymore tricks?

• i DO NOT send a bang. the boygrouped Shutdown (Windows) behaves this way in the first frame.
    ahmkay…then i don’t know…

• anymore tricks?
    na, i think that was basically it. i a very complex setup it turned out to be important to make sure both servers were started before any of the clients did startup or else the behaviour was quite random. so you may keep that in your hinterkopf.

• it turned out to be important to make sure both servers were started before any of the clients did startup or else the behaviour was quite random

ah i already assumed that, but wasn’t sure about this.
thank you for pointing it out!

also i found out that it is a good practice to start Server2’s patches via network from Server1. this way mirroring is easy and doesn’t break any patches…

awesome anyway!
MultiBoyGrouping is another fine way to knot your synapses.

but i wonder if it was possible to send an EX9.Layer from Server1 to Server2.

my current theory-setup:
Server2: homography,deskeweing,kazzimazzi, blabla…
Server1: RenderContent

Clients: 1-6

but how to monitor the rendercontent on Server2?

i tried to setup a client of Server1 on Server2’s PC using /allowmultiple intending to pass the Layer using SharedMemory.

without success though.

any hints/proocharounds?

hm, i don’t get what you want to do.

multiboygrouping is not helping you to send data between servers. it only allows you on a client to receive patches from multiple servers. and on the client S/R can be used again.

• but how to monitor the rendercontent on Server2?
    you can’t. your result comes together on the client. you can only monitor it on the client.

I just followed your link on the MultiBoyGrouping page, 65 projectors!!!+++ Crazy! Where’s the rest of the video???

oh yeah, allows to transfer Layers (or any other data of the Datatype abstract) sounds amazing! looking forward to checking it out.

:( I don’t get enough chance to play with 65 projectors.

about transfering Layers:

is there a restriction? only one Layer?

for me it seems to be that way.

ahh no. was my own bug.

i have overseen to boygroup an IOBox (Node) .
really hard to see whether these are boygrouped or not

moin, moin

since my notebook got stolen, i keep bussy with my old computers
i had set uo a boygroup and try to play with the node camera
on the server works good as useal, but not on the clients
is there a workarround for it or i´m to studido ???
thanx

cyper

Transformations don’t get “bridged” from server to clients.
you can use a GetMatrix (Transform) on the server to convert to values and a boygrouped SetMatrix (Transform) for the clients

I’ve tried to use on my computers too, but only one computer can work out!!
Is there some additional package do i need to install?

videosync.rar (8.2 kB)

hello,
has anybody of you guys managed to transfer layers via boygroup yet.
i tried the same way kalle did, without any success.
thanks, regards, phil.

@phil203
you cannot transfer layers via boygroup.

what you can do though in a multi-server boygroup setup (which is not very typical, but still) is to have a layer being sent on Server 1 via S (Node) and have it received via R (Node) on Server 2. now on Server 2 you will not really receive the layer, but since the S and R come together on one client there they can communicate.

this is really a rather special setup. are you sure you need that? otherwise the basic thing you need to know with boygrouping is that you can only send value, string, color and enums via network.