Mesh Triangulation

Hi

I’ve been playing with using a simple recursive patching method to draw something resembling a blade of grass, based on one of Flight 404’s early projects http://portfolio.barbariangroup.com/nextfest/index.html with a resonable degree of success so far.

One problem though is that the Delanay (2d) I’m using to create a mesh of the grass blade from vertices that define the edge will ‘fill in’ areas that become too concave.

How best I approach something like this? I can envisage a not too complex way of manually defining the triangle indices in this situation given that the order of vertices is so regular, but what would I do if the order or arrangement was less regular?

Is there a way (at least in 2d but ideally 3d) to calculate the indices that define the ‘outline’ of a mesh, without missing out vertices in concave sections? Or does a manual system need to be decided in each situation?

I’m aware of convex hull btw.

Patch attached

grass blade tests.v4p (48.1 kB)

bump… no text …

don’t triangulate yourself / with delaunay.

since your base is just a trianglestrip use a grid with a higher resolution in one axis split it, do the deformation an join again, so you don’t have to worry about indexing

Ah ok, and make the grid resolution 2 by n(segments) ?

Nice

What tools do you turn to when the structure is less regular? Like if I added a few vertices part way up and just outside the grass blade to create an irregular lump (bad example but hey)

Thanks Woei