It works as expected if there are S and R nodes instead of links.
Edit: I was trying to write something making a lot of assumptions, gifs, etc. Previous image is just a superquick, fail-unsafe, dirty workaround.
But I ended here: ColsRowsPages is a way to organize visually data, or to understand what is what or where things are going. At least this is how I understand it.
So either I use it to input a predefined amount of data (with no node upstream), or to understand wtf I’m doing (with no node downstream) by sampling some data.
If I feed it with 24 values and set it to 3 cols and 5 rows, I only get 15 values out of it. I never use it as NITM (node in the middle), primarily because I don’t see why I should use it as that.
So I’m more surprised, from my modest point of view, that ColsRowsPages is used as NITM, rather than it’s sticking to bool.
Oh, I can’t help making an assumption:
- since in ColsRowsPages mode a node’s spreadCount is fixed,
- which is somehow exceptional, since this mode excludes spread wrap, making it plausible that this mode could fall under different rules
- since vvvv makes (sub)type conversion automatically,
- since there’s a sort of conversion hierarchy (bool > integer > float),
once you, from a float pin, input to a bool pin downstream, and at the same time (at the same level) to pins of subtypes integer and float, the IOBox in ColsRowsPages mode gets converted to bool, and there remains. Being in ColsRowsPages mode, makes the IOBox to stick to the “higher” (sub)type.
That said, do I sense some inconsistency, something that not exactly linear? The answer is yes.
Because from float to int to float, I lose float subtype from source (only in the ColsRowsPages mode IOBox), but the float IOBox returns correct values.
If I put a bool, downstream ColsRowsPages mode, the (sub)type become and propagates down as bool, which somehow is not perfectly aligned, IMHO, with the flawless passage experienced elsewhere.
- can this be changed? Yes.
- Should it be changed? No.
- Should it be changed because this float to “everything is now bool” breaks logic? No, because it is more than reasonable to not use ColsRowsPages as NITM.
Based on the amount of effort I put into this, accordingly to my statements and their steadiness, what you pointed out will be fixed approximately within the next week, at most.