Hot bulbs and rotated projectors, myth or fact?

Hi
I am (once again) in need of rotating projectors of 90 degs on the (vvvv wise) z axis, so that x and y axis are inverted.
The model is Panasonic AT5000E and I got a round NO NO NO both from the dealer and Panasonic service center.
But how is that on real life? Is it THAT dangerous or is it just limiting the bulb life span cause of a bit of overheating?
Anybody who can really tell the whole story instead of a “because no” answer type?
I am planning to give a try to a doulbe mirror workaround to get the projection rotated.
Simone

Hi,

Is it for a long time installation or for a performance ?

I did it a lot for performances. I never had any problem. I tried to never leave the beamer on for more than 3 hours. This makes of course no garanty… I was using bigger models than the one you point. I don’t know about cooling differences between yours and the ones I used.

I never “burned” any beamer like this.

I think technically the risk is not only for the lamp, but also for the electronic boards, witch are designed to be used with the designed air flow… That’s the manufacturer position.

Try to respect the air flow: sometimes you have fresh air entrance on one side of the beamer, and hot air exit on the other side. Allways put hot air exit up. And of course don’t obstruct any ventilation.

Mehdi

“double mirror”- even with front-surface mirror you lose app.20-30% of light output
i read that there some difference in cooling tolerance of DLP and LCD projector, but maybe it become outdated

Hi
I am ok with losing 20% brightness. i think I ll give it a try. It is for a 8 hours a day installation …
S.

Reducing lamp time by 80% is not uncommon in my experience. Ofc this is noticable gradually.

Most high end projectors are OK rotated like this but the documentation still states it can reduce lamp life. I had 3 x Barco R12 on their side for a 2 week show without trouble. Although the docs say you should only tip them on one of their sides!