I built a multiscreen video-mixer-patch controlled by art-net.
The patch seems to work fine but some-how it tends to carsh. When it crashes I have to exit vvvv and restart the patch. After a couple of crashes (4 or 5 times) the patch runs stable.
When it crashes:
- it doesn’t react on art-net anymore
- most of the time I can’t get back from full-screen
- scrolling text on screen stops scrolling
- video-in which was live on screen keeps playing
Errors seen in the TTY renderer:
- … * : [validatevalue: error occured in](validatevalue: error occured in): Zugriffsverletzung bei adresse 00667E29 in modul ‘vvvv.exe’.
- ‘filter is in wrong status’ (message was in dutch)
- … * : [mainloop, prepare graph](mainloop, prepare graph) unexpected error: Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 006BB993 in Modul ‘vvvv.exe’ Schreiben von Adresse 27C3C801
I tried to narrow down the part of the patch what makes the crash. But it seems not to be related to one specific part.
When the patch is crashed sometimes I’m still able to edit the patch. When I start deleting parts of the patch I sometimes starts running again. But it’s never the same part I deleted to get it running again.
I run the patch on two clean installed winXP systems (with different capture cards). One as main system and one as backup. Both systems have the same problems.
Any ideas what’s going on?
hard to diagnose without knowing the patch. if you just leave the patch running after startup will it also eventually crash? or only after user-input?
what is the user-input causing to happen in the patch? are you actually switching video files, like loading different files into filestream on user-input?
To me it seems like to crash after user input.
But not inmediately afther the input.
So I don’t know if and/or what input triggers a crash.
I attached a lite version of my patch.
(open the VT_MAIN.v4p file)
It’s still in a design version, so there are not much comments in it… sorry for that…
The funny thing is when stripping the patch to post it here it didn’t crash. I was doing this on my (vista) laptop, without a video capture card.
Which points me in the direction of the video-in node.
Testing it on my main (and backup) system the crashes are back.
Both systems have different mainboards, processors, graphic cards en capture cards. The main system has a videum VO4400 capture card (with its own drivers) and the backup system captures with a cheap cctv card with btwincap drivers.
So it should be in my patch somewhere.
But during a crash removing all the video-in parts of the patch doesn’t get it back running.
I am switching video-files (actually only png files) by user input… I’ll try what happends if I remove that part…
All ideas are welcome!
VideoToolV4_lite.zip (54.9 kB)
i am afraid you’ll have to do a little more debugging. don’t try to get it back running by deleting parts of the graph once it has crashed. that won’t help you find the problem.
rather debug like this:
- remove parts of the patch.
- save the setup to a new directory
- play around with it.
if it crashes after a while begin goto step 1
if it does not crash go to the previously saved setup (the last one that still crashed) and remove smaller parts of the patch and go on with step 1. like this you’ll finally be able to identify the bugger.
First off all thanks for the help sofar.
I know I should be do debugging that way.
My only problem is that the patch doesn’t always crash.
Sometimes it just run like a charm.
The crash is not triggered by user input.
That makes debugging very hard.
A couple of things i boubt about in my patch:
- in tty-renderer I get a some mesages a module or subpatch is made in an older version of vvvv and that I will be asked to overwrite. But I’m not asked to overwrite… is this normal?
- switching files in a FileTexture is done by changing the filename. Right?
- I can share one video-in/videotexture with multiple quads, which come together in one renderer (via a multiscreen). Right?
- The main error I get when the patch crashes are an on going stream of ‘Zugriffsverletzung’ messages. What does that mean in English (or dutch) ?
Hope you can help me some more.
in tty-renderer I get a some mesages a module or subpatch is made in an older version of vvvv and that I will be asked to overwrite. But I’m not asked to overwrite… is this normal?
ja, this is a known non-problem.
switching files in a FileTexture is done by changing the filename. Right?
I can share one video-in/videotexture with multiple quads, which come together in one renderer (via a multiscreen). Right?
The main error I get when the patch crashes are an on going stream of ‘Zugriffsverletzung’ messages. What does that mean in English (or dutch) ?
it means “access violation” in english and i am afraid it doesn’t help much per se.
do you know debug mode: ctrl+F9
sometimes when you have accessviolations running in TTY while in debug mode you can see which not is throwing the errors as that node will be colored orange.
I know about the debug mode, but didn’t know about the orange color.
A while ago I found this page.
But there are more questionmarks than info on that page.
Is there more info about the debug mode?
that was the reason for making this page, so that hopefully one day a merciful devvvv adds his knowledge there.