Do you have suggestions about capture devices?
what’s the state of the art and more recent hardware that does a good job?
Let’s summarize here all users knowledge and experience regarding this specific need.
- Record realtime visuals for documentation (without entering in NonRealtime recording mode) and video playback.
- Eventually use video stream inputs from DLSR cameras (a sony a7s mark I atm) as vvvv input.
- compatible formats: 1080p60, ideally up to 2160p30
- video sampling: 4:2:2, ideally 4:4:4 at least for 1080 sources
- color precision: 10bit RGB/YUV, 12bit would be great
- HDMI and HD-SDI inputs
- ideally an external device, but can consider also PCI Express cards
- less than 1000 dollars ideally, 1500 max
Options from Blackmagic:
- UltraStudio 4K
DeckLink 4K Extreme
which are almost identical in terms of features, just one rack mount and the other CPI Express.
I quite like the simplicity of this kind of devices:
HyperDeck Studio Mini
It seems just so easy to plug and rec everywhere without bringing around much hardware…
With this blackmagic device (which has just 1 SDI in) a HDMI to SDI converter would be needed tho:
Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 4K
Unfortunately this kind of setup wouldn’t allow to use DLSR video streaming from camera as a realtime input in vvvv.
I referenced just Blackmagic products because I’m not very much into the video hardware field and I don’t know other professional brands.
Please report if you know other options