Flocking behavior simulation, plugin

@PVC - that some sexy flocking man! I love flocking, so organic. got a beta release anywhere?

hey great news! Hope for betta test it!

thumbs up.

looks really nice. Good work.

hey PVC, nice stuff!!!
really can’t wait to give it a try. :)

i wrote here my thoughts about plugins integration:
forum/perfect-plugins-integration-into-vvvv-workflow

think it would be nice to have this delicious flocking behaviour in this modular approach.
let me know what you think.

Natan

Really cool, PVC.

dont know, is it possible (after all) to adapt flocking behaviour to fluid dynamics?, kind of:
http://www.creativeapplications.net/iphone/fluidautomata-iphone-ipad/

@DiMix:
we could create a fluid force field that influences the particles of the simulation.
something like the ParticlesGPU dynamic force field example.
it could be another plugin.
like this:

here what each plugin should do:

-ApplyForceField: search for each particle the force value depending on where the particle is in the force field space. outputs the force field vector (something like the pipet node for colors).

there could be different ForceField generators:
-FluidField: generate a 2D/3D fluid simulated grid (the forceField matrix)
-GeometricField: some functions to generate simple force fields like spiral,sphere,cylinder,…
-KinectField: get the info from Kinect and build a 3d matrix force field (your 3d movement will influence the particles…delicious…)
-MeshConstrainField: create a 3d grid where the vector in each cell point to the nearest vertex/face of a mesh. with this we could constrain particles to custom shapes… also text!..

• i’m sure you can think at other field generators
    The important thing is to follow a clever organization and get the best modularity.

i’m really getting interested in this topic.
What about joining our vvvvsers forces and build a new modular plugin library for advanced particle simulation?
as i said i’m not a programmer, but i could help in finding the best structure organization and giving some ideas.
if you guys are interested i can open a new dedicated post in wich we can go in details and assign tasks to everyone is happy to contribute.
think can really be a great thing for vvvv. it could semplify a lot all the particle system menagement.
come on! :)

Natan

i would love to help. But i’m holiday for the next three weeks, maybe after vacation!

@dottore
with customized modules we can get fluid dynamic and optical flow implementation, I think both dealing with flow motion and not so far from flocking behaviour simulation.
but i’m not programmer. cant help much, but could post some links I like
Natan, if you feel hopeful - …open new thread

@phlegma:
great. don’t think is a problem. if this “project” start it will take quite a lot of time… and it’s endless, new plugins and new ideas will come up. :)

i’ll make the new post anyway, so all of you can have a better view of what i’ve in mind.

@ dottore & DiMix
i think you should start a wiki page where we can collect all links / impressions / ideas / concepts and so on. lets begin with the graphics and ideas from the thread perfect plugins integration into vvvv workflow.
I like this discussion.
And one more advantage is that everything is well documented at the end or we get a theoretical style guide “How to write complex plugins in vvvv”

@ PVC
can i have a look at the source code?
Just want something to read for my holiday.
Do you use git or svn?

Guys, let’s continue any theorical discussion here :)
forum/vvvv-particles-library

In order to do something like this, I had already modified “monodata” to take a “mod” input so the value could be modified each frame. This allows me to make x,y,z,(n),… particle systems where not only the position of each particle changes, but other qualities such as hue, size, etc. can dynamically change as well.

This is just vvvv code, but it’s simple and relatively fast. I’ll post an update to the monobuf/monodata package soon if anyone is interested.

In order to do something like this, I had already modified “monodata” to take a “mod” input so the value could be modified each frame. This allows me to make x,y,z,(n),… particle systems where not only the position of each particle changes, but other qualities such as hue, size, etc. can dynamically change as well.

This is just vvvv code, but it’s simple and relatively fast. I’ll post an update to the monobuf/monodata package soon if anyone is interested.