DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: Hardware device removed DX11 compute shaders

DX11 crashing completely in various scenarios when using compute shaders
rendering stops, have to restart vvvv to start rendering again.
The more demanding task - the faster, more reliable crash

happens with noodles, particles, and other compute shader contribs, error pasted is from this chain of nodes:

this error messeage is thrown by spline buffered once the crash happens
vvvv still works on cpu, but any rendering output is disabled

00:05:59 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/74/1285
00:05:59 ERR : Exception node name :DynamicBuffer (DX11.Buffer 3d)
00:05:59 ERR : SlimDX.Direct3D11.Direct3D11Exception in SlimDX: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: Hardware device removed. (-2005270523)

Stacktrace:
at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Buffer.Build(Device device, DataStream data, Int32 sizeInBytes, ResourceUsage usage, BindFlags bindFlags, CpuAccessFlags accessFlags, ResourceOptionFlags optionFlags, Int32 structureByteStride)
at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Buffer…ctor(Device device, BufferDescription description)
at FeralTic.DX11.Resources.DX11DynamicStructuredBuffer1..ctor(DX11RenderContext context, Int32 cnt) at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.DynamicStructBuffer1.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
at VVVV.DX11.Lib.RenderGraph.DX11DeviceRenderer.UpdateNode(DX11Node node)

00:05:59 - : Stack Trace
00:05:59 - : at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Buffer.Build(Device device, DataStream data, Int32 sizeInBytes, ResourceUsage usage, BindFlags bindFlags, CpuAccessFlags accessFlags, ResourceOptionFlags optionFlags, Int32 structureByteStride)
at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Buffer…ctor(Device device, BufferDescription description)
at FeralTic.DX11.Resources.DX11DynamicStructuredBuffer1..ctor(DX11RenderContext context, Int32 cnt) at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.DynamicStructBuffer1.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
00:05:59 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/74/1296/46
00:05:59 ERR : Exception node name :SplineGSFX (DX11.GeomFX)
00:05:59 ERR : SlimDX.Direct3D11.Direct3D11Exception in SlimDX: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: Hardware device removed. (-2005270523)

Stacktrace:
at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Effect…ctor(Device device, ShaderBytecode data)
at FeralTic.DX11.DX11ShaderInstance…ctor(DX11RenderContext context, ShaderBytecode bytecode)
at VVVV.DX11.Lib.Effects.DX11ShaderData.SetEffect(DX11Effect shader)
at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.Layers.DX11StreamOutShaderNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)

00:05:59 - : Stack Trace
00:05:59 - : at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Effect…ctor(Device device, ShaderBytecode data)
at FeralTic.DX11.DX11ShaderInstance…ctor(DX11RenderContext context, ShaderBytecode bytecode)
at VVVV.DX11.Lib.Effects.DX11ShaderData.SetEffect(DX11Effect shader)
at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.Layers.DX11StreamOutShaderNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
00:05:59 * : Invalid layout detected for slices:0,

I’ve been running into this as well (including super painful production headache).

Is there a way can log better info about what’s going wrong? The TTY seems to be complaining about the aftermath rather then the cause.

VVVV is still running, and ui is responsive, but you can’t draw a lone quad.

I was having pretty much the same problem with certain Nvidia drivers.

Try to go a few versions behind with the driver and make sure to DDU your current driver.

installed older driver, did not help. I cant go super old because I have relativly recent card 1660ti - so it wont install. I have no idea what can I do to debug and remedy this, and I cant use vvvv for any work like this.

What helped right now is to recreate the whole patch node by node. Not reset them or something, but remake them.

Have the same problem with nvidia 1650. Sometimes the patch worked miraculously, but most of the time black dx11-renderer and instead tty-renderer-party.

I have no idea why repatching all by hand helped, I am still not confident in stability but I will do a lot of testing in upcoming days

There had been some driver issues with DX11 in the past month. Similiar crashing behaviour only for certain nodes. I think the solution was to use the studio driver. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

i tried switching drivers, it did not help.

It mostly works, but when I throw something heavier at compute shaders, it just drops vvvv from gpu. I was looking into changing parameters of some max duration on gpu compute operations, but it did not help.

I found that in noodles Scale and Rotate nodes have problems with this, while others seems to be good.

Got dammit, got some rigs coming on 1650 also… I guess you need to start dx11 with VS debugger attached… if got this rig around we can try do some teamviewer session to see why it’s crashing…

I am already trying to find out what is going on with manufacturer of my machine. Right now this patch AsVectorField (VF2D.Sources DX11.Texture) help.v4p (20.5 KB)

specifically, the setting points per seed - if they go above around 8, the problem happens. I followed this page:

and after I disabled TDR instead of gpu dropping VVVV, whole PC freezes up and I have to do hard restart, so it is related.

My notebook is running on optimus thou without any way to turn it off, so it very likely could be a factor. Tech support will try to run the patch on similiar model of pc with different graphics card.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.