DMX programming on VVVV, DMX basics, Artnet, v4 & GrandMa2, Pixelmapping

One Sentence: Whats happening in your workshop?
We will learn from scratch what is the DMX protocol, the Artnet protocol, and how to use it on vvvv to create a lighting friendly solution, also we will visualize this on real dmx fixtures and on GrandMa2 3d, therefore we will be learning some basics about this professional lightning software, how we can send data to it, and how a lighting operator can send data to vvvv to control our compositions…

What 3 tags describe your workshop?
DMX Artnet GrandMa2

In which of the three categories does your workshop fall: beginner, intermediate, advanced
beginner 70% / intermediate 30%

How long will your workshop be?
3h to start, or 2x3h if we add PixelMapping topic and building a Artnet interface with Arduino

Who is the target audience of your workshop?
Any vvvv user who wish to control lightning from vvvv , or send data to from vvvv to other professional lighting systems.
Any vvvv user who want to prepare dynamic content for shows where the ligthing guy needs to have control from the composition.

What knowledge do you presume your participants have?
Basic vvvv patching, spread and slices, basic networking skills.

What will attendees of your workshop learn?
Electronics of the DMX protocol
Basics logic of the Artnet protocol
How to send / recive artnet data from vvvv in a simple friendly way
How to patch fixtures in vvvv for simple use and re-use
How to build a patch solution in remplace of a dmx console
Basics of GrandMa2 On pc software / console. Patching fixtures, using them, park, sending and receiving artnet
Basics of GrandMa2 visualizer to “view” what we are sending from vvvv in a wysiwyg way
Pixel Led ( controlling WS2811 digital led stips)
(if we have time) Building a Artnet → DMX node with arduino
(if we have time) Building a Artnet to i2c wireless node to controll ws2811 led stips

What technical requirements does your workshop have (apart from internet and a projector)?
a simple computer to run vvvv and install a grandma2 software. No special hardware needed. It works on a 2in1 cheap pc with 2gb of ram and no videocard.

Who would be the two hosts?
Yes, @manuelgonzalves and me.

What is the content of your workshop in detail?
The content of this workshop is to understand in detail how DMX fixture works, how the dmx protocol (from an electronic point of view) works, how the protocol works in a logical point of view, why Artnet is the new dmx, how we can patch a dmx console from vvvv, simulate it from vvvv, how can we read a artnet protocol in vvvv and understand whats going on, how we can set up the network between vvvv and grandma2 consoles, how we can understand the console logic, how can we start from scratch ( this mean that we will learn the basics of grandma2 ) to patch fixture on the desk, how we need to set up the network to talk to vvvv, and to make vvvv talk to the desk, how to visualize 3d fixures in grandma2 3d using a vvvv data, and how can we visualize ligthing fixtures using vvvv only!
At the end of the workshop VJ and LJ will understand why they must work connected, and will know how to improve the quality of they shows using interconnected content.
We will learn how to do pixelmapping, what hardware is needed, how we can build our own controller using an arduino, and how we control it from vvvv-

What hands-on vvvv skills will participants learn?
Networking, Spread and slicers,Dx9/11 3d render, pipet,

Which specific vvvv contributions are involved?

Which creative techniques are covered in general?
Stage Lighting, we all know about video, but lights are also a super important topic for creative expressions, that why we need to know how they work, and how to use them

How would the hosts qualify for the topic? (Describe and add links to portfolio website, github, vimeo,… accounts)
vvvv & ws2811 led strips

vvvv & Grandma2

vvvv & Grandma2

VVVV & WS2811

vvvv & grandma2

vvvv & grandma2

At the moment we are selling our own hardware to control DMX ligths and WS2811 strips in a wifi way. www.idtres.com
We might bring a bunch nodes for the wokshow so each group can really control a fixture / led strip.
To sell our nodes we must show new ways of interactions between computers/ligths, we did already several vvvv workshops in Spanish and lighting workshop in Argentina, Bilbao, and Barcelona.

12 Likes

DMX FTW!

ALL IN!

This is exactly what I am doing now. on my todo list for tomorrow was to connect between MA2 and vvvv. crazy,

1 Like

Can’t help you dude, top secret, need to wait for the workshop :D
Let me know if you get stock there, I can help you out.
remember that onpc won’t send any data unless you have a grandma hardware like a 2port node / fader wing / command wing
but you should be able to recive data with no problems

Well yes, I got stuck…
at some point (after many many hours) I realized you can’t send any output without hardware…
and the only data I could get in is midi notes (not even cc!!!) I would love some help (I’d love to be also in the workshop but the project Im working for will take place way before, and time bending is not my strongest power)

Ofer

its quite long to troubleshoot, contact me on facebook/andrec4 and I can help you out

Interested, I managed to connect esp8266 to WS2811 strips, about 170 leds per DOUT, controlled by vvvv. Would be interesting to learn a bit more…
S.

I sent a friend request, but I dont think its really you… (André Chmielewski ?)
thats me fb dot com slash albert.rasputin.9

Ofer

@ofersmi did you got it working?

Have you had multiple outputs on the esp chip, I’ve had 1 working with artnet, but performance was a bit slow. Then again I’ve got s web config running on it as well, so it could be that too.

Just one DOUT and no web interface.

1 Like

No, I think it should be possible but not without rewriting the neopixel library, at the time I can do

Try to connect to saved ssid on eeproom ( 3 times )
If not, put itself as ap for 30 seconds.
If client connects, it stays in ap for 5 minutes for webconfig
If not, reboot
Web config to set ssid password dhcp or fix ip, and universe.
And at the time 4 universes , 640 pixeles super fast
But still is quite impossible to avoid a little frame difference between universes , that mean. This method can work super fine for fx, but you can not build a reliable led display
Tpm2 can handle up to 1200 pixels on one udp package, so all those frames are in sync
But, all that on that small chip is quite amazing

Wow, this sounds like a fun one, my GrandMA skills are below par, and seeing how to connect the two would be nice. And a decent basic Pixelmapping is something we can all use.

I recently patched a camera based automated pixel mapper for artnet->arduino->ws2811 . pretty straightforward. if that is of interest to anyone here, Im happy to share. there is also a basic approach to make it 3d with two cameras…

2 Likes

@soriak I was about to try that myself, I was 100% sure that it can be done in vvvv with a little bit of patience :D
Im also very interested in any 2 cameras position system, or approach of position system
I sold all of my ws strips last week and I´m stil waiting to get 2 x 5 meters 320 leds strips. as soon as i get them I will give it a try. nice work !

@Soriak, you just put a bunch of LEDs at random and use a camera to calibrate them on the fly So you know where they are in a 2D grid ? That is clever as hell!! Good job!

ooooookkk set up ready!
At the moment 1200 pixeles @ 4 boards ( 2 universes per board ) ,its quite smooth, next test will be 4 universes per board

1 Like

@andresc4 hey hey, sorry didn’t see ur msg… Yes I am now officially facinated by the powers of vvvv + GrandMA!!! I’ll be useing both for a dance show on jan…

1 Like

Some updates on possible topics , diy led screen using only 1 micro controller