Community Coding: The New vvvv Standard Shader

I’m working on an updated version of SuperPhysical which hides away most of the complexity and logic in VL modules and custom VL datatypes. for example a material datatype which joins all the settings and textures. I think at least for this contribution it is the best way to have both a complex shader and a simple setup.

4 Likes

@mburk SuperPhysical FTW! Could you also please try to include a way to work better with instancing lots of geometry, especially using the subsets of a Geometry and being able to access and instance those with a transformation buffer. SuperPhysical is so nice already, but just when it comes to rendering particles and/or instanced geometry that it comes to its limits from what we have tried so far.

Otherwise I think SuperPhysical is pretty close to a perfect shader for easy rendering, although I guess Shadows are still not perfect and AO would be nice to be solved at the shader stage, since it adds a lot of realism and the SSAO TextureFX isn’t that great.

Oh, and the aformentioned saturation shift when white light hits a shiny colorful surface should be solved somehow.

1 Like

@mburk If we can support the development of a VL based material workflow and shader configuration in any way, we’re very happy to do that.
I mean testing, verifying against other usecases, but also financial resources to make some dedicated development time free for that.

microdees FBX4V pack has an interesting way of dealing with geometry with many subsets. It unites them into one piece of geometry and allows to address them still in the shader for transformation and material through buffers, which makes it much more efficient than instantiating the shader for every piece of geometry.

I also had a look at microdee’s latest Disney implementation which isn’t up on github yet, might be worth waiting for this as well. The setup of the scene seems pretty clean.

@eno I recall woei implemented those papers for you guys as well, wasn’t that anywhere close to a stripped down PBR Shader?

@readme the scope of that was too big for the time we had during this project, so we made do with ‘traditional’ methods.

Hello everyone,
I just uploaded the latest version of my SuperPhysical development. The material and light setup are completely new. Everything is modularized into custom VL datatypes and operations. This allows you to just connect the features you need and have a very clean setup.
I guess this is my answer to a simple standard shader, since now you don’t have a lot of overhead anymore, if you just want a simple setup.

The VL part is still a work in progress, if anyone has suggestions, please don’t hesitate.
I’m also using the new posibility to upload data from VL to a shader, which works out very nicely.
Integrating glTF would be a nice next step, that should easily be done, as soon as there is a DX11 wrapper.

Check out the help patch for an example setup. The contribution is not heavily tested, so any feedback is welcome.
What is still missing is instancing, but for now I suggest to merge instanced geometry, before feeding it into the shader.
@eno would be glad to get some feedback regarding the usability of the new system.
@seltzdesign there are a lot of fixes. I find the lighting is working now as I would expect it. also feedback welcome. AO should probably still be a post-effect. I’m planning to implement a nice new algorithm and will share this if it is ready.

1 Like

Nice to see @mburk
Did you also have a look at https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-WebGL-PBR?
It uses a lot of preprocessor defines.
Also Microdees Disney implementation does it.

This brought me to the idea of having a shader input that takes such preprocessor defines.
This way we could dynamically adapt the shading depending on what the attributes of the mesh and the textures are providing.

I am adding this preprocessor node to vvvv.js in the attempt to get glTF working there nicely.

Or does this somehow exist already in DX11?

Yes, I thought of that and also already implemented it as a proof of concept. It’s quite easy to chain up defines from the VL modules, but it had no meaningful performance gain since I already have conditional evaluation of parts of the shader. Although this kind of branching is considered pure evil by some, using defines instead did nothing to improve performance, so I layed this off for now. Still worth investigating further, though.

Ah interesting!
But how can you bring the defines into the shader node actually?

I think the performance issues can be hard to meassure because modern gpus optimize the code under the hood and have less problems with branching because of this (Thats what I read on stackoverflow at least).
It might be noticable in some scenarios where the optimization does not apply.

Yeah, might be true. In vvvv there is a hidden “defines” pin on DX11 shader nodes.

@mburk: Your new SuperPhysical 2.0 leaves me simply speechless. Just WOW!!!

I tried to marry it with DOF&SSAO contribution from @Anthokio, which I love for its simplicity,
only needing depth and projection transform.

Sorry if I mix things up a bit here, but I guess DOF (and maybe SSAO as well if one want to make things uberphysical) could be very useful in conjunction with SuperPhysical, and something like this might be part of “The New vvvv Standard Shader” as well. Or be somewhere around, who knows.

Now I had to find out that Anthokio´s shaders don´t behave as I know them in latest Alpha (35.15).
Here I added both shaders into your help patch as post effects to show the problem.

(file needs to be unpacked to \packs\SuperPhysical\nodes\modules and will leave you with two .tfx in the totally wrong place… just delete everything afterwards…)

Maybe this is just something about scaling in depth channel and can be resolved easily?
I would really love to pull a focus on super physical objects…

SuperPhysical help_DOF_SSAO.zip (11.1 KB)

edit: Looks like I had weird settings on those shaders, after building it again from scratch it worked.

look at a DX11 layer node, open inspector and see for yourself ;)
also there’s a PreprocessorOptions node in mp.essentials which creates pins automatically for annotated defines and if defined(…) 's. See its proper and informative help patch for more info.

I have to check out new SuperPhysical.

I’m also in the middle of a huge refactoring since late November both in my C# and my HLSL systems. End result might allow me to create a feasible deferred rendering system again which might actually work this time buuut I don’t have any ETA while I also have to do more intermediate projects :(

hi everyone,
when it comes to writing a standard shader, i personally think of having just one single shader as a true Phong replacement. Of course this means no shadows, no fancy post fx, just a pure implementation of a physically based BRDF (in this case with a GGX normal distribution function, see patches below).

The main differences to the Phong implementation:

• PBR doesn’t really make sense, if you only have one light source (unless you light your objects from environment maps). So we have ONE buffer for all different light types, but instead of introducing a new DX11 buffer, i decided to use the already existing DynamicBuffer(SpotLights) for all lights. This could be a little misleading, but its layout fits our needs in this case.
  • There is an option to output the result in gamma or in linear color space for further post fx.
  • I consider normal mapping as very important in a PBR shader, since it might be tightly bound to roughness in many cases.
  • For anisotropic specular reflections (e.g. on brushed metals), you have to tell the shader, whether your geometry has tangents and bitangents. This also might be a good example for the usage of preprocessor directives.
  • For the diffuse BRDF you can switch between Lambert and a modified version of the Disney diffuse BRDF. This modification is adopted from the already mentioned “Frostbite”-paper. (Woei posted a link above).

There are still a few comments in the patches, which i consider as important for people who are new to PBR.

Thats’s just my two cents! Anything to add, or even leave out?

GGX_PunctualLights.7z (71.5 KB)

4 Likes

HI FLux, thanks for your efforts,

However, your GGX INstance hader report the following errors:

E 69 invalid register specification, expected ‘b’ binding X3530 GGX_simple_instanced.fx C:\Users\Guest\Documents\GGX_PunctualLights\dx11

E 135 There was an error compiling expression -1 GGX_simple_instanced.fx C:\Users\Guest\Documents\GGX_PunctualLights\dx11

I changed the buffer registers from “c*” to “b*”. GPUs may elicit different behaviour.

Ah, yes…thank you for pointing this out.
So, here’s an updated version.

GGX_PunctualLights.7z (71.5 KB)

5 Likes

This looks nice, very clean and easy setup.
Thank you.

this only renders black spheres on my card… anything i can try to debug?

very nice, works for me.

what card? @tonfilm

Nvidia GTX970 M, should have all powers needed. how did you start it and with which vvvversion?