ATI Eyefinity Spanmode Problems

I’m fighting with the settings of this ATI Radeon HD 7800 graphics card here.

Did anyone actually succeed to set the card to a mode which features one primary display for patching and a secondary display in a quadruple spanmode (like 4 displays in a line or in a square)??

Is there some sort of hidden setting, or is this eyefinity control center actually not very useful for this task?

(I’m on Windows 7)


hi zepi,

i worked several times with one control and 3 spanned on 5870 eyefinity 6 and another more modern eyefinity card that i dont remember.

and always i had to disable the control one, then make a group of 3 (if they are not identical devices, may be problems), then extend the control, then make it primary.
and this setup keeps working after rebooting the pc.
all this with catalyst driver’s interface.

hope this helps.
if you could describe the problem maybe i’d add something useful

I gave up on using eyefinity after the VLC plugin.
I had some success doing what you did with a double projection and a patch screen some years ago but it was a bit of a pain and I could not use any resolution.

EDIT: I still use the GPU’s but I don’t use the eyefinity feature, just many renderers

I know the problem is more or less solved for @sunep, but it could be useful to others who run in the same problems.

Sometimes the Eyefinity groups “destroy” themselves when one screen of a group looses connection, gets temporarily removed, etc. etc… Had this problem once and the only solution to get the group up and running again was a Windows recovery point from the day before!

The solution is a so called “EDID ghosts” between PC and screen which fake the monitors EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) so the PC thinks the screen is constantly there and therefor the eyefinity group stays intact.

using this eyefinity control center was incredibly painful for us with our setup.

the eyefinity grouping constantly scrambled itself up and changed resolutions, forcing us to rearrange the screens manually…
after all we didn’t really try those DVI-detectives, as the grouping of the screens didn’t behave very promising at all…

we went for one separate renderer on each display output… worked well.