Vvvv & Leds

How is best way to work with vvvv and addressable led stripes? Whether it is arduino or teensy boards(more likely the second) to use, fast led library or other, how to manage fast communication, or maybe should we use artnet, or maybe leave this aside and use dmx.

I guess need some technical base and theoretical, both of hardware and software.
3Hour could be awesome.

2 Likes

arduino

I can bring a pixelpusher, planning to make a gpu accelerated direct communication with it in vvvv.

3 Likes
1 Like

We made the following projects using addressable LED strips, controlled by Photon microcontroller via WiFi with our custom firmware and VVVV patch.

2 Likes

neopixel library ws2812 or ws2811

1 Like

@microdee have you something working already? would be interested since i also have a pixelpusher laying around here…

I am just about to finish a project using two of these to control around 18000Pixels via artnet, so far they work super smooth. and seems to be amazing value for money.
http://www.advateklights.com/shop/pixlite-pixel-mapping/50-pixlite-16-mkii-control-board.html

EDIT: obviously using an alpha running the VL-artnet node

@microdee could that somehow also translate to artnet for use with other pixel controllers?

nothing demonstrable yet I’m afraid, I’ve only done similar systems for bridges and custom controllers yet, but I’ve found some documentation how pixelpusher communicates, I think I can construct most of its data on GPU memory and readback from final

artnet is also possible in similar fashion if there’s a byte-level documentation for its protocol

@microdee this document should give you the documentation you need for artnet: http://www.artisticlicence.com/WebSiteMaster/User%20Guides/art-net.pdf

Guys I Just made a workshop proposal about dmx and ws2811 strips
Check out the list of topics, i think im tring to cover all ot the mencioned on this topic, but we can add more

I will be bringing my own wifi nodes ( for dmx and for ws2811 output ) and if we have time I can show you guys how to build them from scratch using arduino + ethernet and esp8266 hardware. We have the finished products for sale, but i think it will be possible to add 3 hours on how to buiild them ( electronics and arduino side )
we made a few changes on the librarys to allow the nodes to be clients or ap, so we can group several node to a single router. Up to now we did 13 universes ( 3 dmx and 10 pixel led) with a 30 dolars tplink router , no problem at all!

It looks like I’m going to start with pixelpusher first. artnet is a bigger beast on top of ethernet not on tcp as I could read

@microdee: clarification regarding artnet: the essential parts for simply sending bytes are in fact trivial (see VL implementation). the specification looks overwhelming as the protocol defines a lot of things necessary for i don’t know what (communicating with lighting pults?) that noone has asked for in 15 years of vvvv artnet nodes. and it goes via udp.

Artnet is UDP, if you are looking for something more effective there is E1.31 or streaming ACN, or maybe tpm2 https://gist.github.com/jblang/89e24e2655be6c463c56
But Artnet is super vvvv friendly :D . If you can get data straigth fom GPU, we can try to implement any of those 2/3 protocols also, pixelpusher seems like the best option for sure, but the ones that im mencioned are super easy to build in a diy way ( arduino / esp8226 )

We will need to bring several meters of ws2812 and 5v power supplys

Hey ya,
Im also using the pixlite (http://www.advateklights.com/shop/pixlite-pixel-mapping/38-pixlite-4-controller.html) with Artnet. smooth.
for this project

via GIPHY

If we calculate the price per pixel,
114uss per 2720 pixeles
its 0.0419117647058824 uss per pixel
our boards are for 640 pixeles, and we can take like 10 of them to sell them around 30uss (Node17 pice only!) and its around the same price per pixel. Its impossible to manufacture a product in Argentina at a lower price than China, but at that price we can cover the production cost, and avoid any gain to provide a awesome workshop where each participant can keep a working hardware with them.

1 Like