Target Format causes artifacts

Quick question about target format in the Renderer (DX11 TempTarget). I am rendering a bunch of GUI elements using the Craftlie Library. I want to use transparent and non-transparent backgrounds.

If I switch the target format to the standard R8G8B8A8_UNorm I get really jagged edges, but transparency works as expected. Trying out some of the other formats I get the same jagged edges in all formats, except R11G11B10_Float, where the edges are perfect, but no transparency.

Not sure how to proceed here.

This is on a Nvidia GTX980m with latest driver, latest DX11 and vvvv beta 36_x64.

R8G8B8A8_UNorm:
R8G8B8A8_UNorm

R11G11B10_Float:
R11G11B10_Float

Any ideas?

Talking with @tonfilm, it appears that the Text (DX11.Layer Advanced) node is at fault. Seems like it doesn’t show text with transparency, but with a black background. Maybe @vux knows something?

Also the Text node is actually really slow, so it seems it needs a little love anyways.

Text is generally slow, and there is blend mode in Blend node for text advance especially

Also make sure you don’t have depth buffer enabled, alpha and depth general enemies.

Yes, it was set to Text Advance. I am not using Transparency with the text, but do have Depth enabled. I seem to remember it was so the dropdowns work correctly.

I still like the idea of making a browser-based GUI that can interact with vvvv/VL. A browser is so good at dealing with interfaces, text, etc. and using HTML, CSS and co. makes it super easy to build responsive GUI’s. One day…

edit: what a coincidence, there is a forum post about precisely this, like 3 positions from this one… :D

Yea HTML is good but slow as hell as well…

True, but then at least it doesn’t slow down everything. Right now with the GUI showing I get around 25% less fps then when its hidden, which is quite a lot.

But I think it would be really good because of responsiveness and ease of building. That’s like almost impossible to get right in vvvv without a lot of work. Even just to get it so it doesn’t distort between different screen resolutions is already hard enough. A mouse-based GUI doesn’t need to be fast, you can only move one thing at a time anyways and a browser is defnitely fast enough for that.

Anyways, the hard part is not the interface, but the storing, getting and setting of values in both ways. Then again you can just save the html file. Or maybe even use a database for storage… oh, the possibilities… now just need some time…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.