Realllllly vvvvirtual

One Sentence: What’s happening in your workshop?
We’ll prepare your body for the virtual afterlife, like the ancient Egyptians, only digitally: scanning you and your possessions, creating a 3D mausoleum, and finally, flying or walking around it in Virtual Reality.

What will attendees of your workshop learn?
How to create and prepare 3D Scans using photogrammetry — a technique for making three-dimensional models of objects by combining a series of pictures taken from different angles —, how to setup a VR project in vvvv, and how to live forever.

Who is the target audience of your workshop?
Anyone interested in creating 3D scans and using them in VR with vvvv or elsewhere. You will need to know some vvvv basics, DX11, and a rudimentary understanding of 3D terms (texture, UV map, vertex, etc).

Requirements (hardware)

• Your physical body.
  • Three or more objects you want to take with you to the other side.
  • Optional: a good photo camera.

Requirements (software)

• Latest vvvv version and addonpack installed
  • VVVV.OpenVR

What 3 tags describe your workshop?
3D Scan, VR, photogrammetry

In which of the three categories does your workshop fall: beginner, intermediate, advanced
intermediate

How long will your workshop be?
(Standard formats are 3h or 2x 3h, but other formats may be possible)
2 x 3h

Who is the target audience of your workshop?
anyone interested in creating 3D scans and using them in VR with vvvv or elsewhere

What knowledge do you presume your participants have?
vvvv basics, DX11, basic understanding of 3D terms

What will attendees of your workshop learn?
How to create and prepare 3D Scans using different techniques and how to setup a VR project in vvvv

What technical requirements does your workshop have (apart from internet and a projector)?
ideally HTC Vive + controllers and powerful workstations for everyone

Who would be the two hosts?
Moco Raffael Ziegler
Raphaël de Courville

How would the hosts qualify for the topic? (Describe and add links to portfolio website, github, vimeo,… accounts)

Raphaël is a Graphic Designer, Media Artist, and Creative Technologist.
Portfolio: https://goo.gl/68pi4u
Vimeo: vimeo.com/sableraf

Moco is Experienced Experience Designer
www.mocomatics.de
twitter.com/mocomatics

9 Likes

Hey I was about to write a ws request but I rater continue this topic
Im looking for a ws about pointcloud rendering for VR
Im sure that @everyoneishappy @colorsound can continue this topic, cause they help me out to achieve a poinrcloud of 2gb from a CSV file to be rendered in 4v, but I want to do it with bigger files :D

As for the photogrammetry software, which ones are you going to cover?
I might have a monthly licence of Pix4d for that date that you can use if you want, but im looking for more inexpensive solutions on photogrammetry. VisualSFM works fine, but I was never able to complete the scale issue .

1. rendering pointclouds in vvvv

Definitely a very interesting topic, if we could get this on board, that would be awesome of course.
You’re pointing to efficient culling, like organising points in KDtrees etc, right?

2. photogrammetry - scanning

I wanted to give a rough overview of what’s there already. So from iPhone & Trnio, over to using the Kinect II with Fusion Studio, then maybe ending at the High-End ones, like PhotoScanPro (which gives me the best results so far)
Introduce a few tips on scanning objects properly, lighting, delighting, perspective, …

But quickly move on to actually trying it out.

Also, I wanted to ask the guys from Agisoft Photoscan if they could provide a few educational licenses for this purpose.
It’s fairly cheap, I think $60.

What do you mean by ‘complete the scale issue’, having huge datasets?

2 Likes

Wow after viewing that image
I´m in!!! .
yeah I think that 60$ is a good price for that software ( Agisoft ). Pix4d is like 350uss monthly

Sounds like a great workshop and just what I need right now - getting back to vvvv for our midi-visualiser and just upgrading the Rendering and looking into using it with VR. We have a Vive and powerful workstation to go with it.

Where would the workshop be? Hopefully near Germany/Switzerland.

+1 for Agisoft Photoscan…the best from what I checked (more than 7 softwares of the kind) and it’s just 60-70 euros for lifetime…really worth it if you are into this stuff.

it is a proposal for a workshop for NODE17 in Frankfurt, so if it happens, it will happen in june next year in Frankfurt

Thanks @sunep, that sounds great and Frankfurt is not that far away. June however, IS pretty far away ;)

nice one

https://www.capturingreality.com I’ve been using this for the past year-ish, incredibly fast GPU accelerated (nvidia only I think) they have a artist licence at 90€ for 3 months, I’d be interested how photoscan compares (it was really slow last time I tried it, hours vs a few minutes)

@moco how did you do those renderings? they look fantastic!

Thanks!

I used OTOY Octane Renderer in combination with Cinema4D, which are both not free unfortunately.
I could imagine that similar results are possible with Blender + LuxRender, or Cycles.
For the future, I want get more into Blender, as it’s open-source and getting more and more powerful.

There’s a nice comparision of a few renderers here:

Thanks @catweasel, that’s a good recommendation.

I have only heard positive things about Capturing Reality over the last months.
Because I preferred the license model of Agisoft I hadn’t installed it so far.
But I just tried the demo for the first time, using default settings:

The UI looks sleek, point cloud rendering in the viewport is quicker, too.

CR’s alignment process is super quick.
CR’s Dense cloud reconstruction is definitely much faster than PhotoScan’s.
It seems CR uses the GPU more cleverly, constant 100% load, compared to a series of load peaks in PS.
Even in “normal” mode details (like the antennas of the lobster) are preserved nicely.
Texture creation take’s similarly long (could not check the results, unfortunately)
The surface smoothing and filtering looks more advanced
No mesh export in demo is pretty annoying

Summing up:
Agisoft need’s a bigger update to stay relevant …

fyi
Photoscan has a checkbox in the options to activate OpenCL accelerated 3D reconstruction support.
(also Multi-GPU)

AGISOFT PHOTOSCAN

CAPTURE REALITY

PHOTOSCAN MODEL
rendered in Octane

CAPTURE REALITY MODEL
rendered in Octane
might follow when I decide to spend the 100 bucks

Nice still life :)
I actually tried photoscan yesterday! Found he cl setting, used a faster pc, and did the same point cloud in both, and rc was about 3-4 times faster. Just wish these programs weren’t quite so pricey, as I’ve only really done artistic works rather than commercial with them so far.