Projection Mapping and Arduino Encoder

I’m very new to vvvv and I’m trying to connect an Arduino encoder to a timeline in vvvv so the encoder will drive the animation in the timeline. I’m having issues getting the encoder and I’m not sure what to use for a timeline that will allow me to load a video file and manipulate it with the encoder connected to the Arduino. Any help would be amazing!

Welcome Urbachd!

Use firmata for communicating with your Arduino

Install the DX11 pack for VVVV. that includes the VLC player plugin, which is timebased. You have to “goto” a specific time.

when using lossy compression like mp4 etc. you won’t be able to “scrob”, since full picture information is just within the keyframes. Encode using a compression like Quicktime Animation or MJPEG.

just to double up on the few hardware related lines I wrote you on riot (and ofc to leave it for posterity), here are a few snippets I’ve been using.

rotaryOSC.zip (8.6 KB)

Now, I was never a great fan of Firmata, especially because it is not hard to write your own patches, and use a plethora of fantastic libraries for all kinds of sensors and purposes, and the IDE nowadays is actually bringing some tooling to manage external libraries. This is just along this lines: It uses the Encoder and the CNMAT OSC implementation.

The encoder lib uses hardware interrupts to actually count steps, something you’d be hard pressed to accomplish with Firmata, I assume.

Once you have this, you can decide if you want to send the data over ethernet (if your arduino has a port) or over usb (as serial data).

On the vvvv side, you simply receive the data, and unpack it: No tokenizing, custom packet framing, or any other weirdness required.

Thanks schlonzo!

Thanks Velcrome

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.