Project templates

I was thinking of different kinds of project I make at the moment I might want team mates and collaborators to jump into in the future.
Maybe I’m making a project with a lot of 3D stuff, maybe some in-house libraries hosted on local Nugets, and there is a workflow and library structure already figured out I could copy and paste that project template for future work or make it a Git or whatever. All good.

But going a little further, what if want to share a library that requires a particular process to use it? For example, a protobuf Nuget, which involves compiling a user’s class with a special.exe, .ML too. Or maybe in the future, creating a Blazor app with some of the details to Pre-configured the project name URL and other websitey-stuff, or maybe a neural network importer that sets up the neural net and the trainer in separate nodes and sorts out the datasets, checkpoints and stats directories.I hope those are enough examples.

So how could this work? One thought is that the template generators are packed up Nugets. They could have an executable with a gui presenting the fields of the template you can set. When they’re filled out the user presses ‘create project’ and the exe creates directories, places the files where needed, rewrites file names and rewrites xml elements and attributes inside the vl files, calls batch files where necessary and opens the main .vl file in the default version of gamma.

Another approach would be for Gamma to have some infrastructure to look for a file among the Nugets (like with the tool tip visualization file) and give users the option to open and configure a template from the quad menu, to carry out the above in an integrated way.

Sorry if that was a bit of a long read.

Waddayathink?

*first draft written from my phone

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.