Nvidia flex?

is nvidia flex importable to vvvv?

1 Like

short answer: yes*****************
long answer: everything is importable with varying degrees of time and skills required. so for flex you’ll need:

• applicable knowledge about rendering in DirectX 11 including creating, destroying and handling buffers on graphics card memory
  • applicable knowledge about C++/CLI so you can interface between nvidia native world and .NET with ease
  • DX11 in vvvv uses mostly SlimDX wrapper for managing DirectX calls so you’ll need some understanding of that too
  • understanding how DX11 nodes in vvvv are working, what interfaces they are using and what practices they prefer
  • nvidia is not the best when it comes to documentation. They usually leave out lot’s of important details which are hard or impossible to find out with trial and error (*1)
  • also flex provides solutions to a massive wide range of problems so you’d need to spend significant amount of time about what should be included in how many nodes and how they will connect to each other to cover as much of the library functionality as possible
  • for me something like this would take approx 6 to 9 months of active full time dedicated development to cover most what flex can offer and achieve usable functionality + 4 to 6 months of bugfixing, optimization, writing documentation and easing of use for the “I’m not good with programming or computers in general” vvvv patcher

so it wouldn’t be an easy ride. @digitalwannabe told me once he attempted to work on it but he also told me that it might be a harder wood for his axe.

(*1): one example of this when I attempted to implement nvidia ShadowWorks (or as the library calls it) ShadowLib 3.0 there were absolutely no documentation about struct members, except the comments in the main header file which weren’t always helpful. One specific case was with the bounding box which expected an array of two 3D vectors. It didn’t specify that it was expecting min-max/max-min, center-range/range-center, or something I haven’t thought of. Also even if the member name said “BBWorld” the comment next to it only said “bounding box” and I wasn’t really sure it took the inverse view transform into account in its internal calculations. now this is only one out of 10-15 ambiguous entities in that library and that was supposed to be a simpler one to implement among the nvidia SDK’s

To make it even more difficult, you would use an onscreen keyboard.

2 Likes

Maybe the touch designer port might help? There is the code in github I think

1 Like

touch designer, again… !

1 Like

@microdee then what is the superphong equivalent of nvidia-flex ? #emeshe

@microdee Funnily enough I beta tested touch pre release, at the same time as first looking at vvvv, vvvv won, then…

@catweasel when vl will support rendering it will be one gen ahead again

Question is when will VL have a render engine, and will it be by the dev’s or an addon, and will it make integrating with game engine development easier or just as tricky?

I don’t entirely understand that analogy

I don’t entirely understand that analogy

didnt want to get here but i will do it for understanding

it is about something that works as (not even) advertised

mburk has shown that there is hope for the average vvvv user, that it is possible to finish a complex product that random joe can use and generally about elegance, simplicity, modularity, efficiency, out-of-the-box-ness

ah I get it, yeah emeshe was trying to grab a scope which I couldn’t handle at the time and now I’m not using vvvv for graphics heavy stuff that much. superphong/physiscal is amazing, it’s a shader but not a complex system. I’d rather say instance noodles by kyle is a better example for this.

ah I just understood what flex had to do in this analogy. I’m afraid complex libraries solving wide range of computationally difficult problems and trying to be as environment agnostic as possible will always require some skills from the user to handle, OR presented to the end user as a wrapped package but as soon as you want to use that in an unsupported environment you’ll hit thick walls (like for example flex implementation in UE4 has a supported environment of end user interactive 3D apps and games)

Hi!
There’s a Flex common language interface available now that exposes Flex to .Net. It’s called FlexCLI. Check out my github:

…Best
Ben

5 Likes

oooh yummy! I will check out right after the first 600 entries in my bucket list

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.