Locked in crashing unrecoverable state

It’s possible to get into an unrecoverable state when patching something while VL is stopped.

I noticed something crashing two times (more on that hopefully later while investigating), so I stopped VL, patched it again, resumed the runtime and am now locked in this corrupted state.
vvvv.exe /showexceptions, Windows Event Viewer aren’t of any help, RuntimePauseOnError isn’t catching it early enough it seems. Crashes anyway.

Will report back if I figure out how to resolve it and what caused it.

This is all Event Viewer gives me:

Faulting application name: vvvv.exe, version: 38.2.4187.0, time stamp: 0x5d4e7131
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00007ffdefb3b413
Faulting process id: 0x2b88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5582fe7c7c74e
Faulting application path: C:\Repositories\projectname\core\vvvv_50alpha38.2_x64\vvvv.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 5a724015-0f82-4ae1-88ef-e9a87d59b723
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Opening the vl file without vvvv executing the application helped at least.
This is the part that was causing it, I think it happened when connecting the Spread IOBox …
Not able to spot the error though.

Not sure if it fits in here.
But while the patch crashed when doing what I described above, I now got rid of this entirely and seem to have a Crash upon Deserialization.

It’s this class:

With this custom serializer:

And serializes to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE ROOT PUBLIC "" ""[]>
<SyncRedis PullPushOnConnect="False" />

Using the persistent node like so:

Once I Read, VL freezes and just closes down after a couple seconds.

Holy crap, I forgot a Create node after deserializing the field, here:

Original issue was not connected to this though … generally speaking there are errors that would ideally need to be caught, at least printing some meaningful error to some file would help - I don’t mind VL crashing, but some help to resolve it would be superb.

The Create in the Deserialize? Hm indeed if that one is missing the whole thing could blow up into a nice stack overflow which would also explain the lack of error reports you get. Will need to think on that what could be done, probably will need to count up internally and cause an early error as stack overflow sadly can’t be catched and lead to immediate application crash.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.