Ip cameras / Multiple Projection

Hi all, sometime ago i ask some questions to joreg about a setup with multiples ip cameras and multiple projectores. I really like to thank to joreg for his help, and we asked to put this on the forum to help someone else:

Hi Joreg,

we saw your posts on the forum, and we have some questions to ask you:

We have a project that we need to connect 5 Ip Cameras to one computer.
We read your post about you connecting one camera :

“i’ve successfully used the uEye cameras by IDS Imaging. have not tried more than one per pc, but given you have multiple ethernet ports i don’t consider this a general problem.”

The use of the 5 Ip cameras is to render their live videos on a metaball.

We initially thought of using Quest3D or Virtools, but because of lack of live stream support, we started to think of vvvv.

Our architecture is one main computer which has the 5 Ip Cameras connected with vvvv, and 3 Render Stations, which are connected to Projectors in this order:

1st Render Station → 2 Projectors
2nd Render Station → 2 Projectors
3rd Render Station → 1 Projector

The Render Stations are using Boygroup for “Render Station Network Synchronization”.

Could you tell us, your advice about this set-up?
What about the workflow ?? could be stable using the 5 ip cameras connected to only one computer?
Do you think also, vvvv is the recomended tool for this project.

Many Thanks.

we now come to one conclusion, we are putting this setup: only one computer with
a motherboard nForce 790i Ultra SLI and 3 Geforce 9800 GX2. This way doesnt is
necessary the BoyGroup, but we pretend to conect the 5 ip cameras in this computer to generate the textures. What you think about this?

Thanks again.

Ok, sorry for bothering you again, but now i have this doubts:

if he have the 3 grafics cards is possible to use the SLI or the output
for SLI is only in one graphic card? - i explain: with the SLI enabled
with this 3 grafics cards, the render output will be in one grafic card only
or the output is in the 6 outs (5 that we need)?

And another thing, its best (in VVVV) to use only 1 graphic card with the
image output span (with the Matrox TripleHead) or to use the output for the 3 graphics cards?

helo jose,

those are many different questions hard to answer from the information you gave.

i try…

with the SLI enabled
with this 3 grafics cards, the render output will be in one grafic card only
or the output is in the 6 outs (5 that we need)?
never heard of SLI with 3 cards, only know it with 2 cards. and as far as i know it is used in gaming where you want to use the power of 2 cards to render on 1 monitor. if you want to use all 6 outputs of the 3 cards seperately SLI won’t be of any use to you.

And another thing, its best (in VVVV) to use only 1 graphic card with the
image output span (with the Matrox TripleHead) or to use the output for the 3 graphics cards?
depends. 3 cards with single display out have more power than 1 card with a triplehead connected. but using 3 cards you cannot use one spanmode covering them all. but vvvvs videotexture can always only be visible on one card(span). you’d need multiple videotextures to show video on multiple devices.

but we pretend to conect the 5 ip cameras in this computer to generate the textures. What you think about this?
note the above mentioned. not all cameras will be possible visible on all outputs. 1 camera per output should work. but 5 cameras and 3 graphiccards are a demanding setup, not standard. i would do some early testing if this is running at all. i cant guess that.

please consider asking further questions in the forums, maybe other people know more than me or are interested in such a setup too.

all the best,
joreg.

Hi joreg,

One last question, for the 5 output monitors what setup you sugest? With and without videotexture?

hola,

One last question, for the 5 output monitors what setup you sugest? With and without videotexture?
as mentioned this cannot be decided with only those factors. in general i would try to realize projects with as view pcs as possible. only some constraints will always make you need more.

best,
joreg.