Best FrameSync For Multicomputer Video Playback

Hello Guys ,

I would like to review all this and open this discussion about best tricks for the ultimate multicomputer Video Playback FrameSync answers from your experience and point of view .

-Best Mainloop mode , filtered , raw ,increment ?

Optimal performance in server and clients ?

-Best Frame Generator , Position from audio File ,From LFO ,From SMTP playback , From clock node , From Others ?

-Best Frame Sender and Receiver , UDP, ZeroMQ , SMTP , Others ?

Examples, comments and questions in the Patch Main_Timecode.7z (1009.9 KB)

3 Likes

great topic for discussion.
If I’ve got a big show and I don’t want to mess around then in the past I’ve used
-Reaper for audio playback and output either MTC or LTC clock.
-(If LTC Distribute that around the venue with audio distribution systems)
-(LTC to MTC conversion)
-Take MTC into vvvv instances (and theoretically lighting consoles, other systems)
However I feel this is not a modern solution

I would love a simple network solution. Ableton link seems very promising, I’ve only used it in actual Ableton live but it seems to provide very strong sync. Haven’t tried the vvvv plugin yet.

I think part of this question is also about how playback combines with timelining software and also how to send events and time from a central timeline in sync with video playback?

Interesting topic indeed.
I know vvvv provides a way to make it happen however as i understand it is quite complex to do.
Honestly i`d love to have ready made modules for this, I really doubt the people that need them are just a few. And even if they are it is because it is hard for many people to create them themselves.

As i have stated in a previews post of mine i am actually willing to pay someone to create certain modules that can be either a contribution or part of v4.
My goal is to have multi-machine sync for large led screens and that really needs a reaaaaly tight sync.

Audio timecode is neither that precise nor modern and i really feel v4 is lagging behind some other solutions. I really do believe that if v4 has easy to use ability for such things it can get a bigger market share.

How I’ve done this is to have a master clock, running from the audio file if youre using one, udp the time to all the clients, and then calculate frame difference between a client clock and the master clock and nudge the client clock to stay in time with the master, this way if you loose any packets or they get delayed you can adjust for that gradually. If you’re using filestream use the hidden pin, adjust system time, to keep the playback in time with your clock.
LTC should be kept as LTC not converted to midi clock, because midi is shit! You dont get frames from it, use the Vaudio LTC nodes. LTC isn’t perfect either though.
For network wrap a UDP node in VL and use that, as the native one affects the mainloop (this should be the default UDP node now, not sure why it isnt)

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies.

I was normally using standard udp. Yes udp vl improved the mainloop which is important to have a stable mainloop in client and server, with zeromq i had a few times of patch slowing down maybe wrong use from my side , LTC also works but not with the embbed sound card which caused little glitches , using good cards like RME and good file and volume seem to give exact frame too.

cheers

Well you don’t really want to have sound on salve machines, I used Dante sound cards to have audio over Ethernet…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.