"99 bottles of beer on the wall" in gamma

Hi!
After visiting the music visualisation workshop (it was really great, thanks again!) and watching the how-to videos (very helpful with a lot of “aaah!” moments) I have managed to create a version of “99 bottles of beer on the wall” in gamma :-)

See http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/ for details.

99 bottles of beer.vl (19.8 KB)

5 Likes

Hey, great to have you on board.
I took the liberty to optimize some things - not that they needed optimization in this case, but maybe you can take something away from it.

1. wrap it in a cache region so it only get’s executed once and not every frame
  2. No need to have a higher repetition number and break at some point, instead use the amount of repetitions you need (99). Also I made use of the Index pin (which is special to ForEach and Repeat Regions) to get the current iteration index, no need to use an Accumulator here.
  3. Newline + Join instead of Concat to have linebreaks in your text output

99 bottles of beer.vl (20.6 KB)

3 Likes

Cool, thank you very much! I haven’t been aware of 1., 2b.(index) and 3., so I really appreciate the advice!

ad 2a (break): This one was ‘on purpose’: While patching I realized I didn’t need the break, but I I liked the “programming vibe” to it, if you know what I mean: with the break it is “the computer” that checks, if another iteration is needed, and I preferred that idea over setting the number myself! :-)
I have got the impression that “setting rules” is easier and more convenient to me in gamma than in beta, so right now I am embracing this concept wherever possible :-)

1 Like